Monday, November 5, 2007

not so fine dining

I don't understand why Mr. Manx and I seem to be cursed when it comes to eating out? Usually he is the last person to receive his food- sometimes everyone else is done eating by the time he gets his food! Though, recently I have been the one to suffer at the dinner table. Why people would do this to a pregnant woman I don't know- they must not understand our hunger...and how overpowering it really can be!
We recently went out to Indigo since we figured there wouldn't be much of a chance for fine dining and romance for much longer (either because I'm feeling like a waddling whale or because we will have a little one that demands all our attention).
We got a table right away and he ordered the wine I suggested so I could have a few sips and we started out with these wonderful Cali rolls (which, is ok'd for pregnancy - no raw fishies) - they were as good as what we ate in Chicago and were served on a slab of cold granite...mmmm. Next, we had a salad with a really strong basalmic vinegarette dressing with cranberries and nuts (I thought the dressing was a bit too overpowering). It was served with hummus, olives, garlic and pita bread and then went on to our main course.
We decided to do split some "serf and turf" - I ordered the "turf" and he ordered the "serf"
Our waitress came out with his scallops and informed us that my meal was taken out by mistake by another waitress. She said she'd comp us the glass of wine. So we munched on his scallops for a bit but we wanted the combination so we sat there for about 5 minutes while his food got cold.
Finally my food was brought out- the steak was way more rare than I had ordered it but we were so hungry and desperate at that point that we wolfed it all down. It was very good though.
All in all, we found the dining experience to be pleasant. The sushi was awesome...everything else was good but not the best meal I've ever had- the place had great music playing, nice decor and lighting so it sort of made up for it.
It just seems like one stupid thing always has to happen.

Our most recent dining experience was one of the worst I must say. I was craving fried chicken yesterday- I crave it once or twice a year and it sounded really really good to me.
I'm pissed I even agreed to go to "Willie Mac's"... it's that new place where the ground round used to be...ugh! No restaurant has worked there for years but we were driving by and Mr. Manx suggested we try it. He actually suggested it a couple of time- I refused the first two times but I though he really wanted to go there so agreed...apparently he thought they would have good "country" fried chicken since it looked like a "country" place. Plus, they were close and I was hungry. Good intentions, bad results...
When you have 3 servers walk up to you at the same time, show your your plate and ask you if your meal looks right to you, you have to wonder what the hell you have gotten yourself into! They brought this freeze dried piece of chicken fried steak and tried to tell me it was fried chicken without the bone. No...first, they tried to tell me fried chicken wasn't on the menu- that it was actually only chicken fried steak. I corrected them and told them they both were on the menu- they made up some lame ass excuse for that one- all three of them talking at once, then they tried to pass off chicken fried steak as chicken without the bone. I cut the piece open and said no...this is not chicken...what are you not understanding? Then they tell me that they are actually out of fried chicken....WTF? Why didn't they just say this to begin with? They actually tried to pass off one food as another?

Now, fried chicken is not healthy food- I know this and already felt bad enough for attempting to eat it. I rarely have it but damn, it can taste good and it's so nice to go somewhere that actually knows how to prepare it. The shit they served at this place looked like a frozen dinner-there was no way I was eating it!

Mr. Manx had just ordered a burger and it looked safe enough to eat and I was starting to get really shaky from not eating so, once again, I had to share Mr. Manx's food until mine came out.
Luckily, I had just told them to get the crap I didn't order the hell away from me and just bring me the same thing that he ordered so we could split his and then split mine when it came out.

The most annoying part is that they charged us full price for the burgers. The poor waitress (it was her first day- there were 3-4 other servers that seemed to busy gossiping than to wait on us) got a disgusted ear full from me and I didn't even bother talking to a manager because I get a little scared of my pregnancy hormones and there was still a knife on the table...it was probably better to just leave. They'd probably only take off a few bucks and I'd have to argue with some dimwit who doesn't know how to run a restaurant...plus, the whole knife thing...

argh...thank goodness for the times we are blessed with a decent meal and decent service. Seems to be rare though.

3 comments:

Manx said...

Even if I hadn't lived through the experience with you, your description is frickin hilarious. Loved the part about the knife and pregnancy hormones.

You have a way with verbally dissecting cuisine. You should review more restaurants!

Anonymous Communist said...

We went to Wiggidy Willie Mac's last night, and...

...we don't plan to be back. I'm sure they don't want us back anyway, because our kids were 10 kinds of rotten.

But it took like 15 minutes to get a waitress. The sea-salt grinder saltshaker was empty. They seem to interpret "Blackened Chicken" literally, as my sandwich had the color, flavor and texture of a hockey puck.
And that place was "country" out the ass. Lots of Trace Adkins and Carrie Underwood (or whoever it was) being played.

I wish Willie Mac's all the success in the world. They'll just have to get it without me.

~H~ said...

Tell your kids thanks...I don't wish Ol' Willies all the best. Uugghh
I've already kept a couple of people from going there. I'm sure they will appreciate it!