Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dogs

I thought I would take some time to share what it is like living with three dogs.
So our first dog we got after losing two really, really awesome dogs in a house fire (they were our "first" dogs as a couple- this is a completely different subject though) is named Odie. He's a medium sized, white and tan terrier mix with a curly tail- kind of looks like a Jack Russell with some beagle in him- who knows, he's a mutt.
He's the smartest one of the bunch and the only male. He likes to snort when he's happy, is a snuggly little guy who loves to jump on my lap and law down like a little baby so I pet his belly- this is difficult now with my big belly! He was a little escape artist when we first got him- thankfully, we have better fence and he seems less interested in escape!
Odie has multiple barks. One actually sounds like a yodel, it is one of the funniest barks I've ever heard- he saves this bark for certain dogs we see on our walks...no clue why. Other barks are extremely high pitch and annoying- reserved for when he gets pissed off at our other two dogs (usually during fetching, when he can't catch the ball).
Odie has never been much of a "humper" (thankfully) until just recently. We have two large female dogs that love to play and wrestle in the living room. I noticed recently that Odie was not joining in the wrestling, but would get this peculiar look in his eye. I watched a little longer and saw him slowly approach them and started humping one when they were really distracted- now it doesn't matter which dog or which body part- whatever he can get away with, he'll try. This seems to be his new favorite game, which usually results in some yelling. Nice, my sweet little boy has developed humpington's disease. He's also the smelliest of the bunch. He's still my buddy though.

Each of our dogs has a sad story, but I won't share that. They have all been adopted and rescued from bad situations. I like helping doggies- whether it be my dogs, or local shelter dogs. They show you how grateful they are in many ways. I've been walking dogs at the shelter for over a year now (and attending the occasional adoption or shelter "function") but have had to give that up recently due to pregnancy. I have enough of my own to keep me busy for now!
I must start some dinner so will continue with the dogs later.

4 comments:

Manx said...

Good old Pork Rind. He's still my favorite, but don't tell the girls.

For those of you interested, he's the fourth animal down on H's photos to the right. Ornery looking, isn't he?

~H~ said...

I was going to post some pictures but didn't have time last night. I figured it was obvious from description though.

Anonymous Communist said...

The expression on the first dog is almost too adorable for words.

Man, I miss having a dog.

~H~ said...

She's a sweetie.
If you are looking for a dog at some point let me know...there are some pretty great shelter dogs out there. I'll probably start volunteering back at the shelter late spring so get to know the dogs out there pretty well.
I missed having a dog too- we went a year without one after the fire and it was hell. They just make life so much more interesting.
Though...I don't know if three is the answer sometimes!!